Blogmas: What can you do?

My first month in Korea began in February, down in Daegu. It was cold, it was windy, it even snowed!



So this got me thinking, it's December. When's it gonna snow down here? I want it now! I want to make a snowman, I want to have a snowball fight! I want to do stuff. Something that screams winter.

I decided to do some searching for activities to do here, and several of these caught my eye. Here's my top 4 things to do in Korea in the winter, all of which I'll be doing once I dig my sweaters out of my winter box.

1. Ice Festivals.
Credit: Nara Foundation
This event came up on Facebook for me recently, and it sounds like a fun and unique experience.
The Hwacheon Sancheoneo Ice Festival is promoted by so many tour groups out there, and even by the Korea Tourism Organization! 
There's lights, there's ice sculptures, there's food and to top it all off, there's barehanded fishing. 
Come on, doesn't that sound great? What a better way to spend your winter than standing in a pool of water frantically trying to grab a fish like a bear hunting for food? Unleash that inner animal, get to it!


2. Ice Skating.

Ye olde winter sport, how I love...hate...love ye. Korea has many, many, many, many...many ice skating rinks. Personally, I'm trash at skating but like many other things I'm terrible at, I love to try anyway. I think for a majority of people, ice skating is a thrilling and nostalgic thing that encompasses the wintertime spirit. What's better than strapping on small swords to your feet and trying to not break any bones when you inevitably have to let go of the wall that you've been holding onto for the last fifteen minutes? Absolute bliss!


3. Light Displays.
Credit: Morning Calm

I love light displays, they have such a special place in my heart. When I was a little kid my family would take us grandkids out in my grandpa's van and we would drive around for an hour and just watch light displays, hunt for the best decorated house, the most colorful lights hung on a tree. We'd go back home and have hot drinks, sit way too close to the fire and enjoy the company we gave each other. My heart has missed that for a while now, the nighttime adventures ended once us kids weren't kids anymore, at least in body. I'll always treasure those memories and I've been searching for a way to fill that spot in my soul since then. I'm glad Korea is big on festivals here, and I hope all of you can enjoy them as well.
According to the Korea Tourist Organization, here's a pretty decent list!
LED Rose Garden at Dongdaemun Design Plaza
Petite France in Gapyeong


4. Food
Credit: Maangchi

I love food. I know you guys love food too. Street food is one of my top favorites here in Korea, any time of the year. Go to any popular street and I can promise you that you'll find vendors cooking up fresh batches of whatever your heart desires. Here is a wonderful video by a channel I personally love, 2hearts1seoul, that shows a good representation of food you can find in the autumn/winter here in Korea!



Let me know what are your top picks for things to do in the winter in Korea, and keep an eye out for my own adventures here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A requested update

Blogmas: Sometimes I wonder.

Blogmas: On feeling overwhelmed.